This Fall in Spiritual Formation
- The Sermon Series this fall will be: Regulations, Responsibilities & Freedoms, Reel Lessons, Rising Strong and Advent: The Hope Awakens. The last Sunday of every month will be Super Soul Sunday where we will meet for worship in Fellowship Hall around tables with muffins, juice and coffee. On this Sunday the youth will be selling hotdogs, chips and juice for $3 to fund raise for a Parish Nurse to help support our seniors.
- Empowered Youth will begin meeting September 9th, 7 to 9 pm and will discuss their fall meeting schedule. Traci and Tasha will be leading the group with volunteers in the church and city coming in to discuss interfaith and social justice issues.
- Super Soul Wednesday begins September 14th. This is a group for women who are interested in spiritual conversations, workshops and activities centered around authentic connection with one’s self, the Sacred and others on a rich and conscious level. Fall meeting dates will be put into place on the 14th.
- Sunday School Kick off is September 18th. Students of all ages are welcome to bring their backpacks as we will be having a “Blessing of The Backpacks” during the service. After the service we will be enjoying ice cream sundaes.
- Spirited seniors kicks off on September 20th and will continue to meet every 3rd Tuesday during the year. A short service including heritage hymns will begin at 11:30 followed by a warm lunch and games.
- Progressive Christianity will begin towards the end of September. Information is forth coming.
- Spiritual Smorgasbord begins Tuesday, October 4th from 7 to 9 pm. Murray Nicholson will be sending out information very soon.
- Celebrate Diwali (Festival of Lights) Sunday, October 30th. Fran Porter is our Guest Speaker.
- Book Club will begin…(contact Leslie Stoddart)
- Basics of Faith course will be held on Saturday, October 15th from 9 to 3. Lunch will be provided. Anyone who is an adherent, not a member of Living Spirit United Church is urged to take this course and be confirmed as a member on “Amnesty Sunday” October 16th. Anyone wishing to reaffirm their faith is welcome to do so on this Sunday. It is important for congregants to know that only members of LSU may vote on matters regarding pastoral relationships. Also the United Church Manual requires every Council Chair to be a member of the church where they are volunteering their time, talents and treasures.
MINISTRY OF SPIRITUAL FORMATION
Jesus was a wisdom teacher of unconventional wisdom who loved to search for truth, to engage in theological conversations and discover the presence of God in the stories of the people of his day including children, women and people of other religions. Like Jesus, we continue to search for universal spiritual truths to grow in wisdom and spiritual maturity.
We have a bright and clean wonderful children’s area downstairs with a fully equipped nursery and nursery worker to care for your little ones. Rotating families who teach from the Whole People of God United Church curriculum lead our children’s program. Our Music Director Amanda also spends 15 minutes with the children every Sunday to learn new songs.
YOUTH SUNDAY SCHOOL
Grades 5-9 meet downstairs in our youth room on the first 3 Sundays of the month for a discussion with our Youth Support Worker around the same theme as the adults upstairs and on the last Sunday they participate in worship.
EMPOWERING JR AND SR HIGH YOUTH
This group led by our Youth Support Workers and meets every Friday night from 7:00 – 10:00 pm for fun, friendship and lively spiritual discussion except on the first Friday night of the month when they meet instead on the first Saturday night of the month for a Coffee House which showcases the talents of Calgary youth across all religions & no religion.
YOUNG ADULT GROUP (18-30)
Led by our dynamic Youth Support Workers, this group meets every Tuesday evening from 7:30 -9:30 pm for spiritual conversation, support and friendship.
“Progressive Christianity”, PG for short, is the Christianity of the 21st century. PG finds it roots in the work of the “Jesus Seminar”, a think-tank of the Westar Institute of the US, which did its work during the late eighties and mid nineties of the 20th century. Our Study Group discusses the many facets of this “new Christianity” mainly via DVD’s of interviews with and lectures by some of the foremost PG Theologians, such as John Shelby Spong, Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan. Our two-weekly sessions are open to anyone interested and, since many of the sessions are “stand-alone”, people are welcome to just drop in and join for the evening. We are meeting on alternate Monday nights between 7:00 and 9:00 pm. Our schedule for March and April is as follows: March 2, 16, and 30 and April 13 and 27.
INTERFAITH STUDY GROUP
At Living Spirit, while we study and follow the teachings and ways of Christ, we also honour and respect other great religions in the world. Every February is Interfaith Harmony month when we invite speakers from other faith perspectives into our worship service to share what they believe with us and then host a Q and A period afterward. We are also part of the Interfaith Network of Calgary which hosts discussions and field trips to Temples, Mosques, Synagogues, Churches and sacred places of worship. We are also a member of the Interfaith Council which seeks to hold joint social projects such as the eradication of poverty and isolation in our city. This group has also hosted and organized an Interfaith Benefit Concert. We meet the 3rd Sunday after church.
BOOK STUDY GROUP
This group meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm. to have a discussion on the book of their choice.
Our Bible Study series offered at different times throughout the year invite questions, doubts and honest and open-minded searching by all participants, including the facilitator. No one is an expert except on our own sacred stories.
Every month the ministers facilitate a discussion on a fascinating book of their choice.
Ministers are happy to meet with individuals connected to Living Spirit upon request who are seeking spiritual guidance for their lives.