This fall we have lots of different ways to be apart of our wonderful community and here are some of the best ways how!
Spiritual Formation – Chair Shannon Morey
- The Sermon Series this fall will be: Regulations, Responsibilities & Freedoms, Reel Lessons, Rising Strong and Advent: The Hope Awakens. The last Sunday of every month will be Super Soul Sunday where we will meet for worship in Fellowship Hall around tables with muffins, juice and coffee. On this Sunday the youth will be selling hotdogs, chips and juice for $3 to fund raise for a Parish Nurse to help support our seniors.
- Empowered Youth will begin meeting September 9th, 7 to 9 pm and will discuss their fall meeting schedule. Traci and Tasha will be leading the group with volunteers in the church and city coming in to discuss interfaith and social justice issues.
- Super Soul Wednesday begins September 14th. This is a group for women who are interested in spiritual conversations, workshops and activities centered around authentic connection with one’s self, the Sacred and others on a rich and conscious level. Fall meeting dates will be put into place on the 14th.
- Sunday School Kick off is September 18th. Students of all ages are welcome to bring their backpacks as we will be having a “Blessing of The Backpacks” during the service. After the service we will be enjoying ice cream sundaes.
- Spirited seniors kicks off on September 20th and will continue to meet every 3rd Tuesday during the year. A short service including heritage hymns will begin at 11:30 followed by a warm lunch and games.
- Progressive Christianity will begin towards the end of September. Information is forth coming.
- Spiritual Smorgasbord begins Tuesday, October 4th from 7 to 9 pm. Murray Nicholson will be sending out information very soon.
- Celebrate Diwali (Festival of Lights) Sunday, October 30th. Fran Porter is our Guest Speaker.
- Book Club will begin…(contact Leslie Stoddart)
- Basics of Faith course will be held on Saturday, October 15th from 9 to 3. Lunch will be provided. Anyone who is an adherent, not a member of Living Spirit United Church is urged to take this course and be confirmed as a member on “Amnesty Sunday” October 16th. Anyone wishing to reaffirm their faith is welcome to do so on this Sunday. It is important for congregants to know that only members of LSU may vote on matters regarding pastoral relationships. Also the United Church Manual requires every Council Chair to be a member of the church where they are volunteering their time, talents and treasures.
Healing & Pastoral Care – Michelle Smith
- Small casseroles are needed for our pastoral care ministry. Some gluten free casseroles are also needed.
- We have a few requests for rides to and from church. Please contact Mary in the office for names and details.
- “The Walking Each Other Home Group” for people dealing with change or grief will begin meeting Sunday October 2nd after the Worship Service.
- Stay tuned for announcements regarding programmes offered by Yoga and Wellness facilitators throughout the year.
Social Justice and Outreach – Chair Tracie Ontko
- Free Clothing Event October 1st from 1 to 3 pm.
- Good Food Box orders need to be into the office by September 6th.
- The youth will be taking a consistent role in raising funds for a Parish Nurse as we live into our bridge of Supporting Seniors.
- Family Movie Nights and Crazy Fun Movie Nights will begin in the fall. Popcorn and pop will be sold for $3. Information for dates and Movie Titles will be coming in September.
- A Flu Shot Clinic will be offered, dates and time are coming.
Family, Faith, Friends and Fun – Chair Heather Antoniak
- Turkey Dinner will be held on Saturday, November 26th from 5 to 7 pm. Ticket prices are $40 per family; $15 for Single Adults; $10 for seniors and youth 6 and up. Children 5 and under are free. Take-out orders are $15 per person and must be reserved through the office. Reservation cut off for take-out meals is Friday, November 18th.
- Mom & Tots are meeting every Wednesday from 10am until noon.
- 2nd Annual Christmas Cookie Walk Sale Saturday, December 3rd from 10 am to noon. Cost is $20 per box of cookies.
- Super Soul Sunday Hotdog Lunch last Sunday of every month.
- “Whine It Down” begins Monday, October 3rd. This group is for anyone that would like to meet together once a month wop share whine’s from life in the previous month and offer ideas for ways to turn whine’s into opportunities for connection, personal growth and gratitude. Our minister Traci Hubbard will be hosting the first “Whine It Down” in her new home in McKenzie Towne. She will have some fruit cheese to go with your whine/wine. It is BYOB. Coffee, tea and water will be provided. The time is 7 to 8:30pm. This is an opportunity to invite a friend that may be hesitant to walk into a church for connection.
Worship & The Arts – Chair – Jocelyn Massey
- Our Advent Theme is “The Hope Awakens”. Minister Traci Hubbard is writing another exciting play using the Star Wars theme woven into the advent of the birth of Jesus. The play will be offered on Christmas Eve at 7 pm followed by a 9pm Candlelight Communion Service.
- Our youth will be taking a leadership role in the last service of every month. Our interfaith youth will take the lead in the last service in February.
- Blue Christmas will be December 11th at 7 pm.